Since my luck with clothes to this point hasn't been overly successful I still knew that I was going to need to make a "test" dress first. On Friday we headed up to Paul's Moms to spend the night and I brought my new tiny serger, since I knew she would be interested in seeing it. Paul said I should also bring my sewing. So I packed my dress pattern and some cheap broadcloth in case we had a chance to work on it.
|Singer Tiny Serger - Bought of Kijiji For $30!|
Yesterday we set out to put the pattern together and sew the "test" dress. I also decided to attempt to "serge" all the edges. This was definitely the longest part as the tiny serger is "finicky". So as I worked on serging all the pieces, Paul's mom started the assembly of he bodice. I learned some really good tips from her - she has made several dresses and clothes before.
So here is what we learned. I am not a 32 petite. LOL I measured myself before hand and I thought I was "close enough" to the original pattern size. Ummm when making clothes, close enough does not cut it. The bodice is about 4 inches too small at the sides/ back. Luckily we found the pattern in "multi-sizes" online so i'm going to have to start all over again this weekend.
Adjustments that i'm going to make on the 2nd attempt will be to make a fully lined bodice. The pattern just has the bodice facings lined, but I going to fully line the whole thing to prevent it from being see-through if i chose a light weight fabric. I'm also going to make the skirt a bit longer and hem it to just above my knee i think. I think i'm also going to leave the ruffle off, but i'm not sure yet. I think its going to depend on what I choose for my final fabric choice.
So my next step is to try and get to fabric land some time this week to pick up some more broadcloth for attempt number two. By the time I get to making the actual dress i'll be a pro at this pattern!